One of the most popular and preferred tool for jailbreaking is Redsn0w, used by thousands of people in the jailbreaking community.The latest version of this tool has been released today to address support for jailbreaking iOS 5.0.1. Although iOS 5.0.1 cant still be jailbroken with an untethered jailbreak, as this reds0w beta 9 only lets you get a semi tethered jailbreak, nonetheless all the hardwork of MusclenNerd and his peeps is always appreciated.
The biggest feature in this latest redsn0w beta 9 is that we can now jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 straight from redsn0w without the need of any any additional firmware or software. The full changelog of the new redsn0w from the official dev-team blog is given below.
So we’ve updated redsn0w for those who may have found themselves at iOS 5.0.1, and added some other useful features too:
- native support for 5.0.1 (no need to point redsn0w at 5.0 IPSW or use command-line args). Support automatically extends to all of redsn0w’s various functions: “Jailbreak”, “Just boot”, “Fetch blobs”, “Stitch blobs”, “Recovery Fix”
- iBooks fixed in 5.0 and 5.0.1. This is a targeted fix that doesn’t remove entire sandbox mechanism. 5.x users already using redsn0w “Just Boot” can just use the new version without redoing entire jailbreak again
- 3GS old-bootrom owners can now create custom IPSWs without blobs
- ultrasn0w compatability update (i.e. same baseband requirements) for 5.0.1 will be available on Cydia Monday
- support for newer 8GB iPhone4 (which until now had problems with “Fetch blobs”). Thanks to @JKjeepnJeff for loaning us one of these newer i4 units for testing!
- allows Windows users (not just OS X users) to use the “Custom” button to create IPSWs without baseband updates. (Update: please wait for 0.9.9b9b for this!)
- accommodates APTickets in 5.x (until next Apple countermove). APTickets are crypto-verified before submitting to Cydia, just like the main blobs. Cydia server support for sending back the APTickets is upcoming. For now, use stitched IPSWs for 5.x. Due to APTickets, stitched 5.x IPSWs now require user to start in “Pwned DFU” mode
- Support added for stitching 4.x blobs to iPad2-GSM IPSWs. Similar to @notcom’s TinyCFW but doesn’t require lots of RAM or a TSS-assisted restore. Won’t work for iPad2 5.x blobs (or iPhone4S at all) until a bootrom-level exploit is out
- top line now shows whether (and where) a redsn0w update is available, or if the version being run is the latest. Uses DNS TXT record to alleviate any concerns about snooping
- no 5.1 beta support at this time (major apps like Cydia are not yet compatible)
- Owners of newer 3GS iPhones must not flash the iPad baseband. The iPad baseband will not work on 3GS iPhones built later than 2011 week 35. You have a week 35 or later device if your serial # starts with xx135.
Those people who had access to an Apple developer account knew that the developers build of iOS 5.0.1 had to be tricked by pointing it to the original iOS 5.0 build in order for it to be jailbroken. That has been fixed by redsn0w and is a problem is no more. You can download Redsnow beta 9 for free from the direst links given below.