Jailbreak iOS 6 is one step closer thanks to the latest update from the iPhone Dev team to their widely used jailbreaking tool Redsn0w. With iOS 6 on iPhone, it looks like apple has tried really hard this time to make it difficult for devs to look for loopholes in the code that can be exploited to jailbreak.
Unlike previous jailbreaks for older iOS versions which usually got jailbroken fairly quickly, iOS 6 has been around for over a month and it still looks that wait for the untethered jailbreak might be a little longer.
RedSn0w has now been updated to version 0.9.15b1 and comes with some new features. The biggest point is that tethered jailbreak is now achievable without going through the annoying and somewhat complicated method of patching via SSH and stitching IPSW’s. But keep it in mind that this jailbreak achieved via redsn0w 0.9.15b1 is only for Apple A4 based devices, and is a tethered jailbreak, so if you run out of juice, you would have to connect it with your computer to boot it up again
We have got the full change log of redsn0w 0.9.15b1 straight from the developer’s blog for those who are looking for the details.
- Restore from any 5.x iOS to any other (up, down or the same) 5.x iOS on all devices as long as you have the correct blobs (see more below)
- Cydia now included in the tethered 6.0 jailbreak on A4 devices
- Automatically “Just Boot” tethered when qualifying A4 device connects in DFU mode
- Untethered 6.0 jailbreak on old-bootrom 3GS
- Untethered 6.0 hactivation on any 3GS or iPhone4
- Directly restore pre-A5 devices to earlier firmware — no more complicated 15-step how-to’s with stitching, iTunes errors, and “hosts file” concerns
- Fetch new signed blobs for any IPSW (present or future — no redsn0w update required) using Extras > SHSH Blobs > New
- Block the BB update for any 3GS or iPhone4 restore (past, present, or future — no redsn0w update required) using Extras > Even More > Restore
- Deactivate any iPhone, useful for testing your “official” unlock status through iTunes. (Please only deactivate your own iPhone!)
- Activation status shown on “Even more” page
- Significantly more (very nerdy) info returned by “Identify” button when device is in Normal mode
- Tethered jailbreak of ATV2 supported (but the only thing available for it is the SSH2 custom bundle available here — no Cydia yet. Must use “Select IPSW” for tethered boot of ATV2 for now).
- Auto-exit WTF mode for older devices with broken buttons
- Any time a set of blobs is fetched remotely (from Apple or Cydia), redsn0w also saves them locally (and will check there first if you click “Local”)
- For your future restoring convenience, you should also submit all of your past and present TinyUmbrella blobs to Cydia if you haven’t done so yet. Resubmitting is okay and won’t cause conflicts.
Another important point for those relying on the iPhone iOS 6 unlock. If you have an unofficial unlock, you should stay away from Redsn0w 0.9.15b1, as it can’t prevent baseband updates if you are on devices sporting Apple A5+ processors.
So to sum up this development, untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 is still under development and the timeframe is currently unknown. However you can still jailbreak iOS 6 right now with redsn0w 0.9.15b1 if you want to settle for a tethered jailbreak and have an Apple A4 based device. It won’t work on devices having processors above Apple A4.
Download this latest version of redsn0w to jailbreak your device from the links below for both Mac and PC.[Download: Redsn0w 0.9.15b1 for Mac] [Download: Redsn0w 0.9.15b1 for PC]